10.04.2010

It was on Saturday, on a metro train, under the ground

This past Friday night I boarded a charter bus with about forty other people from the Immigration Solidarity Committee. Our destination was Washington D.C. for a march telling Washington that we are one nation standing together, demanding the changes that were promised to us. We became united and lived out our duty as the people for the people.

I was thrilled upon arriving to see all the different people huddled together with their friends and families. The Spanish language was spoken all around us and I felt so excited to be among the Spanish speaking population of Charlotte, NC. Although I felt some anxiety in attempting to speak Spanish myself, I knew this trip would prove to be an awesome opportunity to spruce up on my skills.

For some time now I have felt a deep spiritual emptiness within. My daily struggle to bring about meaning in my days and be productive through action based on my beliefs has become exhausting. The many various illnesses that I suffer from have also impeded some of my zeal and I feel as though I am not doing enough, though the desire is there. My time so far here at Hyaets has also been very trying. My expectations have not been met, though not necessarily through the fault of anyone at Hyaets, but rather through my own desires and the cultivation of what God is doing within me and where he is leading me. So, it was with excitement and also weariness that I boarded the bus to D.C.

I will write more on the rally/march later however, I am compelled to relay an experience I had on the metro going back to the buses to come home. It was myself and Jacob along with about seven other members of ISC (Immigration Solidarity Committee). The metro train was overstuffed with people. It was stuffy and overwhelmed with the smell of hot and sticky people. There were conversations going on all about. After about five minutes sitting on the metro the train came to a halt prematurely and we were stuck waiting for it to continue for about ten minutes.

It was during this time that Gizella, a lovely woman I had met through ISC, and whom I had told of my physical ailments, decided to pray for me. She placed her soft warm hand on my shoulder as we sat side-by-side on one of the benches, closed her eyes and began praying out loud for me. I closed my eyes too and my ears zeroed in on what she was saying. She began by praying for healing of my body. This I expected as I had told her about my physical ailments. She fluidly spoke the freeing and beautiful Word of God out of her mouth into the stuffy and smelly air. Her words surrounded me and my mind and soul. I breathed them in. As she continued she spoke to me in the Spirit of God and set to rest many worries and troubles of my soul. She confirmed that where I am and what I am doing is where and what I should be doing, but only for a season. Then she began to pray and say things to me that opened the emotional flood gates that I have had locked for some time. As she continued to pray I had the sense that it was the Lord speaking to me, giving me words of encouragement and affirmation. It is these words that I will keep secure and hold tightly to and ask the Lord to confirm again.

It has been quite some time since I have had a spiritual experience such as I had on the metro yesterday. It has been quite some time since I have been poured into such as Gizella did on Saturday. Me, a mere acquaintance to her, she took time to listen to and pray for and then speak into words of life. It was on Saturday, on a metro train, under the ground, in the dark, that the Lord brought me into His light and lifted me up. He has given me strength to continue and even more, hope!

2 comments: