9.20.2010

Path to Peace

Drawn Picture of Via Dolorosa (Way of Suffering)
The path Jesus took on the way to his Crucifixion 
Living in Enderly Park of Charlotte I have met many people who struggle to make it through each day. Many struggle to find jobs. Some struggle to find food. Others struggle to pay their bills. It would seem Jacob and I have much in common with our neighbors.

Right now Jacob is struggling to find a job that he not only qualifies for but that he is not over-qualified for; nevertheless, he is willing to take either. He begins a temporary assignment tomorrow (er today) at a paper factory where he will be stuck in steel toe shoes that are one size too small for his feet. We looked hard for some used ones at various thrift stores and were not able to find a pair other than the ones that were one size too small. So, as he works the next three weeks, his poor feet will be mutilated. He is my hero!!!

Though our refrigerator is not barren or our pantries barren, we find ourselves struggling to create meals from what we have. We were blessed with a grocery donation about two weeks ago from a dear friend, Keith, who runs a non-profit food donation site called the Common Place. If it were not for him we would not have gotten as far as we have with our groceries, and for that I am thankful and appreciative. However, we find ourselves in the same boat once again. Jake tried to make a Hamburger Helper beef straganoff but we had no milk and no money to buy milk. In these times it is helpful to remember the Lord's Prayer, that God does not instruct us to pray for weekly bread or monthly bread but rather for daily bread...and seemingly, we have not yet gone hungry.

Oh and bills...I cannot even begin to explain my exasperation over bills. With my short-term disability only paying me 60% of my normal pay and Jacob not having steady work these past months, we have barely met the demands of rent, phone, electric, groceries, and other necessities. However, I must give God praise for we have yet to come up short for our rent or have our electricity cut off. And in the end, I remember that Jesus had no where to lay his head, no place to call home. Honestly, the worse that could happen is we are evicted and would then enter into the blessed experience of homelessness, relying on the generosity of others to shelter us, just as Jesus did. Guess if you want to be more like him, what better way to do so.

It is through these struggles that I have found a deep cord of commonality in the frailty and humanity of those who I live next to. I no longer seem so different from them and them from me. We have all jumped into the same boat and are doing our best to row through the rocky, and at times tumultuous, waters of life.

In the midst of the storms there are occasionally those who calm the waters and offer their friendship or resources to help us out. Jake's mom, Penny, has been a huge help. She has allowed Jacob to work with her some days and pays him generously. That has been quite a saving grace. Then, there has been the gift card to Bi-Lo from Hyaets which helped out to provide a meal. Keith, who has given us a load of groceries. And many others who pray for us and those who struggle with us and give us reason to laugh and remain joyous.

I am thankful for these struggles though I may not necessarily like them so much. The way of suffering is the path to peace...just maybe I'm beginning on my journey to a peace that surpasses all understanding.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I always thought a Franciscqan vow of poverty was so romantic but it has proved to be quite a pain in the ass. I think we are bless, nonetheless :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIfe is tough to say the least. Some say its better to suffer now than to lose out on eternity, but its really okay until I see my son born so innocent and see him suffer all his life with disabilities and see so many so called christians ignore his plite.Watching my son suffer and die spiritually from so called Godly folk is very painful, but then God is in control. My husband and I hardly eat as well and what we eat is not what I would order up to eat. We went to the grocery last night and brought food with our last 28 dollars. Spinich, lactose free milk, one pound of hamburger, afew grapes, apples, bread, one chicken pot pie and a water mellon. Scarey, 60 and unemployed for five years! My husband is on disability and he gets more senial everyday. The saving grace is my grandchildren and people like Keith who help us with grocerys. We take grocerys to others and enjoy visiting with them. I volenteer in the community while I keep looking for work. The really crazy thing is if I make over 125 a MONTH I will lose our fininical help with S.S for our medications. LIfe is scarey, hold on to Christ. He says we have to endure until the end. That those who do not bear fruit will be cut off and burned up. Hold on to Him and keep helping those who need you. Don't give up, and don't look at all the world as it is. God is alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous commenter, thank you so much for you words of encouragement and your testimony. I will be praying for you and your family. God is with you...Emmanuel.

    ReplyDelete